We are the Education Collaborative at Ashesi (referred to as ‘Education Collaborative’), a department at Ashesi University, Ghana. Ashesi University is a private not-for-profit non-sectarian university located in Ghana. The mission of the Education Collaborative is to leverage collaboration and mentorship to build a network of higher education institutions that are uncompromising in achieving excellence in quality student outcomes in Africa. To achieve this mission, we collect and use information about you. Protecting your privacy is very crucial to us. We will do our best to protect the security of your data and will never sell or share your data with any other organization for marketing purposes.
Why do we collect personal data?
The Education Collaborative collects and uses personal data to support our commitment towards building exemplary higher-ed sector on the African continent. We may collect and store data on individuals who have interacted with or direct to us in the past, who are employed by organizations that support the Education Collaborative, or who have a strong alignment with our mission. We believe these engagements with the individuals are in line with our mission of building a network of institutions that are uncompromising in achieving academic excellence. We may store information collected in alignment with these goals for as long as we deem it beneficial to our organization.
Our legitimate interest in furthering our mission does not automatically override your interests, and we will not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). Your personal data will not be used for the purposes of automated decision making or profiling which produces a legal or otherwise significant effect on you.
What is personal data?
“Personal Data” includes any and all information that allows the Education Collaborative to identify you as an individual. This may include your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, employer, country of residence, employment history, interest, and other information about your identity. We may also collect information related to your relationship with the Education Collaborative and other institutions you work with.
How does the Education Collaborative collect my personal data?
- Events: The Education Collaborative may store any personal information you provide to us while attending our sponsored event or responding to an invitation. Events may be among others include conferences, workshops, trainings, meetings. We frequently take photos and recordings at our events; If you participate in our event as a panelist, presenter, or attendee, you may be captured in these materials, and your likeness is stored in our records or used for promotional materials. We may also collect feedback and evaluations about you as a presenter, panelist, facilitator, volunteer or attendee. We may also collect other optional information. We will indicate on the form which data is required. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about why certain data is required.
- Institutional data: The Education Collaborative may store the personal information of our beneficiary institutions. Thus, data on students, alumni, faculty, staff, trustees, donors, sponsors or advisors of a higher-ed institution participating in our programs.
- Third parties: We may receive personal data about you from other sources, including your company/organization, professional references, publicly available sources, and other third parties. For example, we may receive your personal data via your company website, if that data is provided to us by one of your employees or other stakeholders.
- Social media: When you interact with us through a social media platform on our website, such as by clicking on a social media icon linked on the page, we may collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page, including your account ID or username and other information included in your posts. If you choose to log in to your account with or through a social networking service, we and that service provider may share certain information about you and your activities.
- Employment opportunities: When you provide information on the purpose of applying for a role in the Education Collaborative, we use that information to evaluate your candidacy for employment and to track and evaluate our hiring process. We may disclose your information to reviewers of the role and other third parties who help us review applicants. When uploading a resume, please do not provide us with sensitive information such as social security numbers, dates of birth, and financial information unless you agree to share it.
The Education Collaborative does not collect personal information from visitors to our site, unless the information is specifically provided by a visitor – for example, by subscribing to our newsletter.
How we use your personal data
The purposes for which the Education Collaborative may use your personal data include:
- To process event registrations of Education Collaborative-sponsored events.
- Communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- To provide information to those who may be interested in learning more about our work.
- To help us maintain our relationship with those who have assisted us and supported our work in the past.
- To personalize or otherwise improve our communications with you and our stakeholders.
- To conduct research, evaluations and outreach to individuals or organizations who we reasonably believe may have an interest in our work.
- To comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
- To solicit donations to support our mission.
- Provide you with more relevant content to which you may be subscribed.
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal.
- Make decisions about approving hires and funding grants
Will the Education Collaborative share my personal data?
The Education Collaborative will never sell or rent your personal data to parties outside Ashesi University and its trustees. Occasionally, we may share your information with service providers who provide us operational support. These partners will use your information only under our instruction, and never for their own purposes.
How we protect your personal data
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to prevent unauthorized disclosure of your personal data, and our website has security measures in place to protect the information under our control. Only authorized individuals at the Education Collaborative or acting on our behalf have access to our database.
Where will my personal data be held?
Personal data may occasionally be shared with Ashesi Foundation in the United States, or with members of the network (who may be situated in the regions of Africa), if such sharing is necessary under our legitimate interest in advancing our mission.
On some occasions, our use of your personal data may require express consent from you. We will never knowingly process data for a purpose that requires consent without obtaining such consent from you.
The Education Collaborative follows the FTC guidelines for compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Our website is not specifically targeted at children (individuals under the age of 13, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction), and we do not solicit information from children without proper parental or guardian consent. If you believe that we may have collected personal information from someone under the applicable age of consent without parental consent, kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to address the issue.
Information you provide about others
- You have the right to contact us to request access to the personal data we hold on you, the purposes for which that data has been processed, the period for which we intend to store it, and the identity of any third parties to whom it has been disclosed.
- You have the right to request that we rectify outdated or incorrect personal data.
- You have the right to restrict our use of your data.
- You have the right to request that we permanently delete all of your personal data from our records.
- If you believe that we have mishandled your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
How to stop receiving messages from us
If you have subscribed to our mailing list, you have the right to opt-out of receiving materials from us at any time. Please note that an “opt‐out” of our mailing list does not constitute a request to have your personal data permanently deleted from our database.
1 University Avenue,
See Map Here