Ethics and Leadership
Giving Voice to Values Africa
Build confidence and competence in values-driven leadership
Earn a Certificate of Completion
- Access seven-course modules to build ethical action skills.
- Engage on discussion boards with other participants and experience the power of learning with others in a community.
- Receive a certificate of completion for your professional development.
Earn a Train-the-Trainer Certificate
- Access to everything in the $25 package.
- Attend a synchronous online case facilitation session led by a trained GVV Africa facilitator.
- Receive a GVV Africa train-the-trainer certificate to enable you to train others to build ethical action skills using the GVV Africa curriculum.
- Take the course with your team, tailor the GVV Africa cases to your industry and management level, and earn Certificates of Completion or Train-the-Trainer Certificates
- Request a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Giving Voice to Values Africa course is designed for:
Corporate leaders and managers
Values-driven leaders looking for a strategic approach to communicating their values and sustaining workplace cultures where employees feel comfortable speaking about values and bringing up issues of concern.
Higher education leaders and professionals
Educators interested in equipping themselves, staff, faculty, and students, with the skills to support speaking and acting with integrity and sustaining university-wide cultures that encourage speaking about values and bringing up issues of concern.
Ethics and leadership trainers seeking to gain skills for themselves and to train others to strategically and effectively speak up and act in values conflict situations; organizational trainers supporting culture change within large and small organizations.
Professionals interested in learning how to speak and act effectively in values conflict situations in the workplace.
Module 1: What is Giving Voice to Values?
- Lesson 1.1: Overview
- Lesson 1.2: Course Overview & Tips for Success
- Activity: Reflect on Your Intentions
- Lesson 1.3: Getting to Know One Another
- Discussion Board 1: Introduce Yourself to Course Participants
- Lesson 1.4: We All Have Values
- Activity: The Values Game
- Lesson 1.5: The Three A’s
- Activity: Check Your Understanding
- Lesson 1.6: Ethical Action for Leadership
- Video: Interview with Dr Patrick Awuah, President, Ashesi University
- Discussion Board 2: Ethical Action for Leadership
- Lesson 1.7: The GVV Thought Experiment
Module 2: Enablers and Disablers for Voicing Values
- Lesson 2.1: Overview
- Lesson 2.2: The Tale of Two Stories
- Video: Anne’s Tale of Two Stories
- Activity: Reflect on Your Own Tale of Two Stories
- Lesson 2.3: Enablers and Disablers
- Discussion Board 3: What are Your Enablers and Disablers?
- Lesson 2.4: Choice
- Activity: Retrieval Practice – Enablers and Disablers
- Activity: Check Your Understanding
- Lesson 2.5: A GVV Case
- GVV Case: The Missed Flight
- Discussion Board 4: The Missed Flight
Module 3: Reasons and Rationalizations
- Lesson 3.1: Overview
- Lesson 3.2: Normalisation
- Lesson 3.3: Reasons and Rationalisations
- GVV Case: The Missed Flight continued…
- Lesson 3.4: The Four-Step Process for Voicing Values
- Video: The Deadly Life Insurance Part I
- Lesson 3.5: Reasons and Rationalizations – An Example
- Lesson 3.6: Reframing and Taking Action – An Example
- Video: The Deadly Life Insurance Part II
- Discussion Board 5: Evaluate Nana K’s Approach to Voicing His Values
Module 4: Alignment
- Lesson 4.1: Overview
- Lesson 4.2: Alignment Part 1 – Self Knowledge
- Activity: Reflective Writing – What Would You Do?
- Lesson 4.3: Alignment Part 2 – Professional Sense of Purpose
- Video: Interview with Mansa Nettey, CEO Standard Chartered Bank
- Activity: Retrieval Practice – Reasons and Rationalizations
- Lesson 4.4: Alignment Part 3 – Audience
- Lesson 4.5: The Child Bride Rescue
- GVV Case: The Child Bride Rescue (Case A)
- Discussion Board 6: The Child Bride Rescue
- Lesson 4.6: The Child Bride Rescue Continued
- GVV Case: The Child Bride Rescue (Case B)
- Activity: Reflective Writing – Learning from Muni’s Story
Module 5: Voice
- Lesson 5.1: Overview
- Lesson 5.2: Rehearsal
- GVV Case: The Presentation (Case A)
- Discussion Board 7: The Presentation
- Lesson 5.3: Communication Values
- GVV Case: The Presentation (Case B)
- Lesson 5.4: Listening
- Lesson 5.5: Ethical Action for Leadership
- Video: Interview with Elikem Tamaklo, MD Nyaho Medical Centre
- Activity: Reflective Writing – GVV and Values Based Leadership
Module 6: Creating Conditions for Others to Voice their Values
- Lesson 6.1: Overview
- Lesson 6.2: Values Alignment and Accountability
- Video: Reporting Failures, Dr Patrick Awuah, Ashesi University
- Activity: Reflective Writing – Preparing for Teaming Routines
- Lesson 6.3: Empowering Voice Across the Organization
- Video: Culture Change at Nyaho Medical Centre, Elikem Tamaklo, MD Nyaho Medical Centre
- Video: Changing the Leadership Culture, Mansa Nettey, CEO Standard Chartered Bank
Module 7: Bringing GVV to Different Audiences
- Lesson 7.1: Overview
- Lesson 7.2: Tailoring GVV to Different Audiences
- Lesson 7.3: How to Write a GVV Case
- Lesson 7.4: Implementing GVV
- Activity: Reflective Writing – What was your “A-ha” moment?
- Post Course Survey
- Lesson 7.5: GVV Resource Page
Course Authors & Contributors
GVV Africa Curriculum Development Lead Mathematics Faculty, Ashesi University
GVV Africa Instructor
Project Advisor, Director, Education Collaborative, Ashesi University.
Adobea Lydia Dampare Addo
Course Administrator, The Education Collaborative
Dr Mary Gentile
Project Advisor, Creator, Giving Voice to Values, The University of Virginia, Darden School of Business.
Case Writer, Faculty, Ashesi University.
Writer and Author
Tale of Two Stories Contributor
Alum, Ashesi University
Case Contributors remain anonymous. Their support is acknowledged and appreciated.
Leadership Video Contributors
Dr Patrick Awuah
Founder, Ashesi University
CEO, Standard Chartered Bank Ghana
Dr Elikem Tamaklo
Managing Director, Nyaho Medical Center
Animation Content Development
Faculty Intern, Ashesi University
Nana Adjoa Agyeman Sereboo
Student, Ashesi University